Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pastel Portrait of My Grandfather

I painted this 8"x 10" pastel portrait of my grandfather over a year ago and finally digitized it yesterday. I used a photo taken in 1918 by my great-grandfather, Ed Huebing, whom was quite the hobby photographer creating many photo albums which included a slew of documented information about the town I was born in, family events, and community happenings. I have several sepia-tone photos of my grandfather as a child that I would love to paint....it is a real treat to go back in time and use my family history to create from nearly 100 years later. Although painting them in pastel at this small size it is bit challenging!

To the left is the actual sepia tone photograph I used. It captured me especially because the expression on my grandfathers childhood face is one that I would see from time to time when I was growing up. It is also an expression I wore on my face as a child, I call "frump mode". My grandfather, Merriwell Huebing Sr. passed in his sleep in April at the age of 95. His love of nature, hunting, fishing and his art making inspired and shaped me to become the artist that I am today. Thank you Grandpa.

3 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

beautiful painting, and what a wonderful old photo to work from too!

Robert A Vollrath said...

As a card carrying member of the United Brotherhood of Grandfathers I must say I like this very much.

Unknown said...

Hallo,
wunderschön, fast wie das orginal,
gefällt mir sehr gut.

Gruß Werner