Friday, November 17, 2006

Progress of the hummingbird painting

I thought I would post a progress pic of Achilles, the 6' x 6' ruby-throated hummingbird oil painting that I'm currently working on here in Tucson at the Desert Trails RV Park. James and I are currently staying here before our next exhibit at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum . The people here in the park are wonderful and love stopping by to watch me paint and take pictures of the painting in progress. Most of my visitors are retired grandparents and travel to this particular RV park every winter with their motorhome and love to laugh and have good eats. They are our kind of people! This is my first large painting of a vertebrate since Project InSECT started nearly 4 years ago. Although I will still paint the hummingbird just as I do the insects, with a microscope, the 2 different subjects have a lot in common to me through the eyes of an artist and scientist combined....as you will see as the painting evolves. My challenge on this painting is the iredesent hair like feathers which I look forward too in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Robert A Vollrath said...

I miss the days when I was a full time
Project InSECT fanatic.
This hummingbird painting blows my mind!
I can't wait till the whole world knows how great an artist you are and I can have bragging rights that I knew you and James back when Project InSECT was just starting out. I just love this painting!