Thursday, June 11, 2009

Courtnie the Honey Bee Revisited

Thought I would get back to blogging, as it is something I've wanted to do for over 6 months. I just had a birthday edging me ever closer to 40, and feel that my diary has been neglected...so here are some pics of a painting I performed at the Johnson County Central Resource Library, Overland Park, Kansas in 2005. You can see how my canvas begins pictured below...much like a kindergarteners"mess" with lines drawn all over the place. I love paint for this reason...I can re-draw and paint-over as many times as I need to until she gets there.

She is a 48" x 60" oil on canvas and fuzzy as a bear! She took 5 weeks to complete and will be the supporting role to Mildred the mantis for the 3rd book in our Children's book series. The librarians all said they wanted to hug her as I finished the final golden hairs......Imagine, huggin a honey bee....I find it odd to say, but I can:)
I must give a shout out to Suzanne Berry, a bug painter that has not only inspired me to blog again, but has rejuvinated my adoration and love of insects. Keep painting those incredible bugs Suz! Can't wait to see your next! More blogin to come....I mean it this time!

3 comments:

Robert A Vollrath said...

I love this painting so much!!!!
Thanks for the blast from the past!

I enjoyed seeing you paint part of this painting.

To my fellow blog readers; if you have a chance to see Jessa paint in public please go see her.

You'll learn so much from her and James will make you laugh:)

Unknown said...

wow!!!

Gruß Werner

Micah R. Condon said...

Hi - I just discovered your project while browsing some paintings today. What a wonderful painting and an inspiring project!

I've written a brief blog post about Project Insect on my new art gallery blog. You can see the full post here:

http://www.artalee.com/artwork/have-you-hugged-bee-today-project-insect-shares-six-legged-love